OLWEUS Bullying Prevention Program
--Information Courtesy of http://www.clemson.edu/olweus/
What is the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program?
The Olweus Bullying Prevention Program is a school-wide program that strives to reduce and prevent bullying problems and improve peer relations at school. The program goals include the reduction of bullying among students, improved social climate of classrooms, and the reduction of other antisocial behaviors.
How is the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program implemented?
The program is implemented at four levels:
What happens at the school-level of the program?
At the school-level:
- Distribute anonymous student questionnaire to gage the prevalence of bullying in the district
- Establish and train the Olweus Bullying Prevention Committee
- Develop school-wide system of supervision
- Adopt school-wide rules against bullying
- Develop positive and negative consequences for student behaviors
- Create plan for parental involvement
What happens at the classroom-level of the program?
At the classroom-level:
- Reinforce school-wide anti-bullying rules
- Hold regular, weekly classroom meetings to increase knowledge and empathy
- Hold info
What happens at the community-level of the program?
At the community-level:
- Hold informational meetings with community members
- Incorporate school-wide anti-bullying messages and strategies in community youth activities
What happens at the individual-level of the program?
At the individual-level:
- Provide interventions for those who bully
- Provide interventions for those who are bullied
- Make contact with parents of those involved
Who implements the program in our school district?
The Olweus Bullying Prevention Program is implemented by a Bullying Prevention Coordinating Committee. This committee is comprised of building-level administration, teachers, support staff, and parents. The committee is trained by certified trainers of the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program. The committee coordinates the school-level of the program and trains other school staff during school- inservices.